Schwules Museum is a museum located in Berlin, dedicated to LGBTQ+ history, culture and activism. It was founded in 1985, making it one of the oldest LGBTQ+ museums in the world. The museum offers a variety of exhibitions, events, library & archive, education and press resources. The exhibitions aim to showcase the diversity of LGBTQ+ experiences and highlight the various challenges faced by the community over time.
The current exhibitions at the museum include "We Have Always Been Everywhere", which explores the global history of LGBTQ+ communities and activism; "Year of Women", which focuses on the contributions of women to the LGBTQ+ movement; "Morepixx?", which showcases the works of LGBTQ+ photographers; and "Queering the Crip, Cripping the Queer", which examines the intersections of disability and queerness. The museum also offers guided tours of these exhibitions, in German and English, giving visitors the opportunity to learn more about the content and gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter.
In addition to exhibitions, the museum also has a library & archive featuring monthly highlights such as Mascha Linke, Dirk Harting, and Hendrik Bruhn. This resource is a valuable tool for researchers and anyone interested in the history of LGBTQ+ communities. Visitors can support the museum through donations, volunteering, and spreading the word about its work.
Features at Schwules Museum:
- Dedicated to LGBTQ+ history, culture and activism
- Founded in 1985, one of the oldest LGBTQ+ museums in the world
- Offers exhibitions, events, library & archive, education and press resources
- Current exhibitions include "We Have Always Been Everywhere", "Year of Women", "Morepixx?" and "Queering the Crip, Cripping the Queer"
- Guided tours of exhibitions in German and English
- Library & archive featuring monthly highlights
Show full week
We try to keep this information updated, but always
Have you been to Schwules Museum and have something to say? Help the community and share your piece of mind
Login to comment
Please login to add your comment.
Thoughts from Online Reviews
Here is a summary of things mentioned about Schwules Museum in online reviews.
- Unique and dedicated to the LGBTQ+ community
- Friendly and helpful employees
- Interesting exhibitions and displays
- Affordable entrance fee with student discount
- Supportive of the LGBTQ+ community through donations, volunteering, and press resources
- Cafe on site
- Small size
- Some exhibitions are under construction
- Could benefit from more funding
User photos from Schwules Museum:
It’s always best to view a place from the eyes of the visitors. Help us out by uploading a few photos from this location.